Thursday, May 04, 2006

Another Road Trip

As if my poor husband hasn't been on the road enough, it was time to stretch our legs once again, and set out on a road trip. David had some business to take care of in Missoula on Saturday morning, and with my Aunt Randy living just 45 miles from there, the kids and I tagged along. After driving 4 hours Thursday, and then another 5 hours Friday, David picked the kids and I up and continued on for another 5+ hours Friday night, arriving in Missoula just after 11pm. With other, more desirable hotels full due to a Rugby tournament we stayed in the (usually nice, but this time crappy) Ramada. David was quite cranky about it, and when he was done working Saturday morning, he called to say "pack your bags, I checked us in to the Marriott".

The Marriott was brand new and cheaper than that crusty place we stayed Friday night. A fabulous change of pace.

After settling in, we were off for an adventure. The four of us. With David gone so much, it's just been the three of us a lot of the time. We ended up at the mall, which was much better than the mall our town has to offer. We all scored new outfits and spent a long time cooing over the puppies, kittens and bunnies at the pet store. While at the mall Isaac discovered his new favorite place: Hot Topic. Oops!

With all of us starving, we then set off for our much-anticipated breakfast. Okay, maybe it was only much-anticipated by me. I had been day dreaming of hash browns, bacon, sausage, and eggs for days. When else is it acceptable to clog your arteries, other than road trips?

After breakfast I got in a lot of trouble with Isaac. Busy shoveling a handful of goldfish in his mouth as we left, he walked into a window instead of out the door which caused me to giggle, first just to myself, but then I lost control. He was crying and in pain. What a horrible mother.

We were then on our way to visit Aunt Randy, stopping along the way to put our feet in the cold Bitterroot River.

We had a great visit with Aunt Randy, Uncle Merlin, Kristine, Tiffni and the twins. Maddie especially took to the twins.

My aunt and uncle live in the most beautiful valley. It is green and has a strong 'homey' feel to it.

We headed back to our hotel after catching up with our family and enjoying a yummy dinner and dessert (Huckleberry Pie, thank you very much). All four of us went right to sleep, not even taking time to appreciate the new room.

Sunday morning began with another artery clogging breakfast, this time at IHOP, which was not near as good as the Denny's breakfast the day before.

We took the scenic route home. Scenic always equals long. But as long as the four of us were together, who cared?

We drove through green valleys.

And we drove through small towns.

I finally got to see our state capital, Helena. Sad to say, I had my expecations a bit high. I had pictured dramatic mountains for Helena. Maybe I've seen The Sound of Music too many times, for somehow I likened the Alps to these little hills. I tell you what, they're not so Alive in Helena. Still, it was a nice town.

We stopped by Carol College (which I had never heard of).

And a fancy cathedral.

And then the Sunday-quiet capital.

Our journey was long, but I was and am greatful for the togetherness. I enjoyed having the four of us together away from our routine. Even though David continued on to Spearfish, SD after taking us home Sunday night, him arriving at 1:30am.

We saw a lot of beautiful things on this trip. Places I really had looked forward to. But let me say this, and it may not be as profound to you as it is to me, but Montana doesn't have anything on California.

Montana doesn't have Tahoe. It doesn' have the ocean. It doesn't have my family. And it doesn't have trees.