Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Awkward Mom Moments

As a ward missionary, I've been sitting in on discussions with the 9-year-old across the street. His parents have been inactive for years, but the mom has been trying to come to church and is ready for Levi to be baptized.
Levi and my kids have played together quite a bit, ride the bus together, and my kids even went to his birthday party a couple weeks ago.
The elders are very patient while he acts up during the discussions, and I think the message is sinking in.
My dilema is that this Levi keeps calling Isaac an idiot and is very mean and aggresive when adults aren't looking. Isaac came home pretty upset after playing at Levi's the other day and hasn't returned.
Isaac asks me many times a day now if I've talked to Levi's mom. He wants me to make it all better.
Levi's parents blame their inactivity on a comment a former bishop made years ago, so I'm literally walking on egg shells.
I want to show Isaac that I'll protect him, but the proper approach just doesn't seem to exist.

1 comment:

JP said...

The control freak in me says "playdate on our turf only!!!"

I know this puts you in an icky situation. remember...you are a mom first and foremost.