Sunday, October 11, 2009

On My Best Behavior (Sort Of)

Have you ever 'pocket-dialed' anyone?

I've made fun of pocket-dialers for years. Who is careless enough to accidentally call some random person in his/her contact list?

Years ago I had a co-worker who unknowingly pocket-dialed the girl he was currently dating, all the while talking about a former girlfriend. Girl-on-the-phone heard enough to know she never wanted to see him again.

David pocket-dialed a co-worker a couple of weeks ago while we were driving. We're pretty sure her voice mail got an earful.

I thought I was above this, as I am Miss Caution.

Not so much. Thursday afternoon I 'purse-dialed' my brother. When he called back later to bring this to my attention, I had a moment of panic - did he hear me yell at the kids while on our way to the orthodontist? No, we were just chatting. And who better to pocket dial than my brother - someone who loves me unconditionally AND is one of my best friends.

As I've thought about this (sort of) close-call, I've tried to be more aware of the things I say and do. I've tried to carry on each conversation with more patience and kindness, as if there were another in the room, listening and watching.

Because as we all know: there is.