Sunday, March 06, 2005

Nephi 3:7

In June 1994 I (at the ripe old age of 19) bought a brand-new red Mustang. It was a great car!
At the time I was teaching a primary class and the theme for the year was Nephi 3:7..."I will go and do what the Lord hath commanded..." As a result I chose Nephi3 7 for my license plate on the new car.
I had a couple of fun experiences as a result. One of them I will never forget: I was at Little League tryouts with my brother on a Saturday afternoon. I kept noticing this man with a baby watching me. I was a little uncomfortable. Some time later he approached me, saying "I see that your car says Nephi 3 7." I smiled and nodded my head. He continued, "my family and I are learning about him".
Yesterday marked the 10 year anniversary of his family being baptized and the nine year anniversary of them going to the temple to be sealed together for eternity. How exciting it is to see their progress in the church, the various callings they've held, and to have their oldest son on a mission.
I had absolutely nothing to do with their conversion to the gospel, but it has always been a reminder that as members we are always being watched and must always strive to be an example to others.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good car. Just reading this brought back many memories of that car, lunches, double dates, you actually letting me drive it. I was involved in a few conversations at work with you and co-workers regarding that license plate. It was definitely a conversation starter.

~Jody

Anonymous said...

I forgot one memory: flying dumpsters. Can't believe that one slipped my mind!

~Jody

Jess said...

To expand on Jody's fun memory: there was a huge storm with a lot of wind one winter day in 1995. As Jody & I pulled into the parking lot at work, the wind blew this huge dumpster into the driver side, denting my precious car. Jody had to jump out of the passenger side to rescue me Good times. =)