Thursday, March 02, 2006

Six Year Olds And Their Fabulous Logic

It is absolutely mind boggling how kids, sometimes even at the ripe old age of six, can find and point out logic for us old people. The kids and I share a bathroom (sometimes David too, but he has his own). Many mornings we trip over each other while one brushes hair, one brushes teeth, and the other puts on make-up, just like any other family. Sadly, this bathroom is 1/8 of the size of my master bathroom at the last house. One day last week Isaac watched as I put on my foundation. He asked what it was and why I rub it on my face. I was very slow to respond, trying to figure out how to bring it down to his level. Knowing that the Clinique-counter-girl answer wouldn’t do, I started with “I use it to cover-“ when he interrupted with “the redness in your cheeks?” I immediately felt sheepish, knowing where this was going. “And then I put on blush-“ and was interrupted again “to make your cheeks red again.” How silly and simple. Why do we cover up our red, blotchy (in my case) cheeks to only make them red again. This sweet boy brought it up again while we watched American Idol last night. “Mom, I don’t understand why you cover up your red cheeks and then make them red again.” I don’t understand either, friends. But leave it to a child (let alone a boy) to point out the logic in our cosmetically-driven world.

No comments: