Tuesday, September 12, 2006

My Big Day (Ugh)

I start my new job tomorrow.
No, no. There's no excitement in my voice. You'd think there would be, after complaining so much about being home.
For starters, I am sick. A silly little cold has taken over my body. I have had a fever off and on since Saturday, and until last night haven't slept much at all. This thing has really wiped me out.
My new job title is "Para-Educator", which is fancy-talk for teacher's aide for special ed at a high school. The pay will be much lower, my commute will be quite long, and I do not have daycare yet.
One of the (many) obstacles with moving so much is finding someone I trust enough to keep my kids. I'll need just an hour before school, and a few minutes after school. I don't know anyone within a ten-mile radius. Not sure what I'm going to do.
In my interview with the vice principal of this high school just over a week ago, he seemed to go out of his way to make the job seem difficult and unwanted. I had hoped that this job would help me to know if I want to pursue education for my career (when I grow up), but this guy really has me doubting myself and if I'm up to this, and if it's even worth it.
Maybe I do belong behind a desk. Creating reports. Making travel arrangements. Planning office events. Staring at a computer screen all...day...long. Working all summer and never having 3-day weekends and long holidays off with the kids. But there's no money to be made there.
OH! Wait! I made much more money chained to a desk!

No comments: