Saturday, October 28, 2006

It's a Full House

You've heard me bark about how big my ward is. Massive. 90 kids in the nursery, 2 Elders’ Quorums, etc. So you can imagine what practice for the Primary Program was like yesterday. The mandatory practice. Chaos. Utter chaos. 300 kids. Three hundred kids. All the chairs on the stand were full. Rows of folding chairs were set up. And the first 3 rows of pews were full of Sunbeams. Chaos. I sat towards the back to watch the rehearsal, never so glad to not be in Primary. But I wouldn’t mind getting back to it after the program. Since there’s so many kids, and since the Sunbeams are so little, these 3-year-olds are to STAND ON the PEWS during a song. Do you suppose that they were reverently standing on the pews? No! The pews somehow morphed into trampolines. During the song Scripture Power, the Sunbeam boys would put their fists in the air and jump valiantly when they got to the chorus. I went back and forth between pitying the Primary presidency, to thinking that they were absolutely nuts. But then it happened. Magic. While all the older kids stayed sitting, the whole Primary sang I Know My Father Lives while the little Sunbeams stood and reverently signed. I shrunk down in my seat, trying to hide the tears. It was fabulous. These little ones, not much more than babies, signed the song, closely watching the chorister for what to do next. And when it was over, the pandemonium returned. But for just a brief moment they were angels.

PS As if there wasn’t enough chaos, the real Primary program is tomorrow; when the kids will be completely hopped up from all the candy they get this afternoon at the ward Trunk-or-Treat. Hello! Scheduling conflict.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last week was our ward Primary Program. Never was I so happy to be sitting in the very last row of the over-flow section as I was that Sunday. I cried almost every song. Heaven help me, when Grace becomes a Sunbeam next year!

Jaye said...

The Creature was SO funny during our Primary Program. He was head banging to the Nephi song.