Thursday, June 11, 2009

Clean Up in Aisle 9

I went to the grocery store today.

Why does that deserve blogging recognition?

In the last few weeks any and all shopping has been painful and kept to a minimum. The food on the shelves mocked me, taunted me, all the while tried to get me to puke right there on the shiny, cement floor. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

But TODAY I marched in to our new store feeling better than I have all week, confident that I could conquer all.

Let me tell you, it faded quickly.

I was fine in the 'dry' areas. Cleaning supplies, canned foods, etc.

But once I moved in to dairy and juice it immediately went downhill.

I plugged along, but when I was about 2/3 done, the store's sound system went through an automated alarm; high-pitched beeping followed by a robotic voice telling us all something about a fire being reported and while it's being investigated, please move to the nearest exit.

It was just after 9am, so there were just a few other shoppers. We kind of looked at each other, waiting for someone to make the first move towards an exit. No one did.

I continued to shop and NO ONE was going deter me.

Too much effort had gone in to filling my basket. I knew I didn't have it in me to go back and 'redo'.

I chose to burn with my groceries.

Fortunately, my courage wasn't truly put to the test, and the alarm was soon cancelled.

I finished up in the meats and then produce, managing to stay in the store long enough to drop $160.

And now if you'll excuse me, the day's events have thoroughly exhausted me. That and the on-going sleeping pills.

It's naptime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can take them when you're pregnant? I wish I had known that!!

Jody

Jessica said...

That's what I'm taking for the morning (allday) sickness - three times a day.

Tiercy said...

Wow, I was at that same store at 9 p.m. and the same alarm and fire was going off.

Call me and I can go shopping for you! = ) that's what friends are for.

BTW - Bunco is postponed until the next Wednesday.