Friday, May 14, 2010

The Night I Ripped His Heart Out

Do you ever (on those rare occasions that the remote is in YOUR hand) put on a show that you KNOW your husband is going to object to?

I do. Just to test how long it takes for him to pitch a fit.

But he didn't the other night when I turned on Steal Magnolias during the Christmas party scene, just as Shelby is announcing her pregnancy. David had never seen it, and decided to play along.

He had missed all the character building, so I had to explain the friendships and the close mother-daughter relationship Shelby and Malin have.

He watched.

I, of course, was fighting tears from the get-go. But I didn't warn him.

I didn't prepare him...

So as the family is gathered in the hospital around the life-less Shelby, in a child-like voice David asks "what's he signing?".

(I didn't answer)

Then in that same, innocent voice "they're going to let her... die?"

But then he turned back in to a man "stupid movie".

6 comments:

Jaye said...

1st: as you know... ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES

2nd: I remember watching Beaches with Dad. Yea, he cried. I was like 10 and I thought it was cool that my dad could cry at a chick flick.

JP said...

Heh...awesome.

malibustacy said...

I was like 9 when we went and saw "The War" in the movie theater and I saw my dad cry for the first time ever. I thought it was so cool. I mean... well you know. =)

Unknown said...

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Cigarette Manufacturers

Asim said...

Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks.order modalert

Anonymous said...

petsthanks for the shared this interesting information with us. I really enjoyed your article and waiting for new..