Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My Vinyl Jacket

I found my little treasure a couple of months ago at the vintage clothes store just down the street from work. I passed it up, didn't buy it. But I loved it. The practical side of me knew that it would sit in my closet and collect dust and turn, well, more vintage.
The vintage clothes store relocated a few weeks ago. Today we ventured out to find their new digs.
The new place was just about 5 blocks from the old, and it was about 5 times the size. Oh, how I wished JP and Jaye were with me to look at the beautiful gowns, some of them in our size, even. I especially loved a orange-sherbet gown, probably made for a prom. Some of the blouses were almost cute enough to buy, others were just plain wretched. All the tacky jewelry, again, almost cute enough to buy.
I didn't find my little treasure right away. I wouldn't say that I panicked, but I was definitely bummed at the thought of someone else making off with my vinyl jacket.
Vinyl jacket? You're thinking I fell off my rocker. Well, maybe I did. But it's mine. When I found it mixed in with all the other treasures, many of them far tackier than mine, I knew it was now or never.
My little vinyl jacket with embroidered flowers made it's way home with me today to live eternally in my closet. Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to wear it with a pair of faded jeans and a white T-shirt. But for now, it's good enough to know that it's mine.

No comments: