Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Grandma J.

Like my own children, when I was born I had lots of grandparents, most within 75 miles. I've stayed especially close to my Grandma K. (my dad's mom), and Grandma J. (Grandma K.'s mom).
I love their stories of years gone by, and try to burn them into my memory so that these precious moments will live on.
Not to be cliche, but it was smack-dab-middle of the depression when Grandma J. was a young married woman. Her and Grampa J. shared a 16x16 one-room house with her brother and sister in-law, also a young married couple. A sheet draped down the middle of the room offered their privacy, and romance had to be saved for when the noisy train passed through town at night.
They still lived there when their 1st child was born. Their baby girl was breech so the doctor (and Grandma) had a difficult time delivering her. Since it was such a small hospital, Grampa was permitted to remain at Grandma's side. Years later Grandma learned that several hours into the labor, the doctor told Grandma's sister that he wasn't sure either the mom or the baby would survive. Thankfully, they both did, but the doctor gave Grandma so much ether, the family believes it turned her hair white overnight. Her children only remember her with gray/white hair.
Grandma's second baby girl (my Grandma K.) was born much easier, and much, much quicker. Grandma J. had only been at the hospital 20 minutes when she delivered, not even having time to undress.
Grandma's third baby brought them a boy, also with a nice, short labor and delivery. When the doctor was delivering baby number four, also a boy, he told Grampa J. that it was going to be 2 hours before the baby arrived, would he like to go home and rest. Grampa told the doctor that he didn't care if it took 4 hours, he wasn't going anywhere. Baby arrived in 2 hours, 10 minutes.
While I wished I had been fortunate enough to have short labors like Grandma J., these stories are my treasures.
Grandma J. turns 94 next month. Her mom and a few of her siblings lived into their 90s. She truly is a joy to be with and I am so thankful for the wonderful spirit she brings into our lives. Grandparents like her and Grandma K. should be immortal.

1 comment:

JP said...

She really is the coolest things since sliced bread. Come to think of it...she should know all about how cool sliced bread is...or was.