Saturday, July 16, 2005

We Crossed the State Line

To escape the boredom, today we drove to Cody, WY located about 1 1/2 hours south of our town. However, today it took us 2 hours to get there thanks to all of the Harley riders we were sharing the two-laned road with the whole time. If the speed limit is 70 m.p.h., why do they only go 55? We ran into a bit of a traffic jam in a wee-little town along the way. Their parade, complete with firetrucks and other emergency vehicles, was just beginning when we arrived. We were re-directed, as to not disturb the event, and I wondered: in this town of maybe 500 people, who's left to watch on the sidelines with so many people participating, especially with so many on their chosen automobile...

Once in Cody, it quickly became obvious that this town was entirely based on tourism, and depended heavily on traffic exiting Yellowstone National Park. It was cute and full of all the quaint little stores. We especially loved the Cowboy Christmas shop.

We spent some time at Wild Bill Dam, a very, very windy experience.

Friends and family know that I have an extreme fear of heights that keeps me from participating in a lot of activities. Visiting any dam provides enough anxiety to last me all afternoon, especially when my husband feels the need to take my children across the foot bridge at the top of the dam. The drop on the other side was over 300 feet. Once inside the overlooking visitors center, I still couldn't look, even though there were walls and windows protecting me from a fall.

When we got back to our town, we took a break to take in a few of the 31 flavors that we all love so much. Why is it that my kids, okay just Maddie has a knack for getting food everywhere?

I hope you have been able to escape boredom this weekend (minus reading this post). Oh you're not bored, you have lives!

No comments: