Sunday, July 10, 2005

Yellowstone on a Whim

As of 11pm m.d.t. last night, we are back at our house. Not home, because home is where I've been for the last month. Home is where my parents are. Home is where my fabulous sisters are. Home is where my wonderful brothers are. Home is where my life is. Buck up, you say? I'm trying. We decided (sort of last minute) to add several hours to yesterday's already long (10 hours) drive so that we could take our children through Yellowstone. I'm happy to have seen the sights, but leaving Aunt Sandy's at 9:30am and getting home at 11pm makes for a long, long day. Warning: unaware that I would be photographed during our trek, I chose to not apply make-up. Carry on...

Our timing couldn't have been better. Old Faithful gave us long enough to park and unload, even walk over to some shade before blowing its top. There were thousands of people around us.

Anyone who has been to Yellowstone knows that if other cars are pulled to the side of the road, slam on your brakes and join them because that is your opportunity to take in what nature has to offer. I had to hang up on Jaye when we came upon these girls. The jury is still out on whether they are mule deer or female elk, but we saw lots of them throughout the park.

We also saw a lot of bison. Supposedly (no, not supposably) these guys can run 30 m.p.h., the park tries to convince of this in the fluorescent flyer they handed out at the gate. There must be a lot of stupid people attending our national parks for them to go to such great lengths to warn us of getting gored by these creatures. Alas, I did see one of the stupid ones taking his sons in for a closer look. I should add that his brilliant wife waited in the car. By the way, our puppy felt the need to growl at one of these bison, like she could take him on.

Maddie and I braved the extreme heights to take a quick peek at Artist Point. A very quick peek.

After stopping for a potty break, Isaac informed us that this sign meant "No peeing".

Though I was sad to leave the comforts of my extended family, I must admit that I was excited about the beauty that my new state greeted me with, welcoming me home. My current, but hopefully temporary home.

3 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

So WHY is Old Faithful so very faithful? Does it really blow the same time every day? Is it on a 24 hour schedule or something? I've always wondered...but I've never seen it.

JP said...

You know when we were little and we took that very same trip? All I remember is that Old Faithful smelled like rotten eggs...and while I was only little (wasn't I four or five???) I somehow understood what rotten eggs smelled like.

I must bring up the comment of how I'm so sad that a month could fly by so fast. I will (once again) be missing our zaney, late night trips to WalMart...our dinners at Mom & Dads...our loud and obnoxious conversations about anything and nothing...hanging out with BOTH my sisters AND my mom all at the same time...and I'll even miss trolling around JoAnne's Fabric being a...well, a troll ;)

I miss you. My girls miss you.

Love ya

Anonymous said...

I'm glad ya'll had a chance to visit Yellowstone. You look as though you had a great time. We went a couple summers ago and my Aunt and cousin were stupid enough to get trapped by some buffalo on a hillside. It made for some interesting pictures.
Sorry you're feeling homesick. If it helps, it only took a year not to think about home everyday and not want to cry. It's better now...almost three years later. We are going to be in Sac for three weeks in August. Sarah's wedding can't be missed and I can't go without seeing my family more than six months at a time.
Tifferbob