Monday, April 23, 2007

Thank Goodness for Modern Medicine

I have been very fortunate to not suffer as so many women do from UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections), aka bladder infections. Just a few times have I had to guzzle cranberry juice until I thought I would burst to try an chase that pain away.
And we all know how that you are included in this good fortune, because when I hurt I whine. To all of you.
After nearly 24 hours of lower abdominal pain, this afternoon I was diagnosed with a UTI. I was pretty surprised. I haven't had ANY of the standard signs. You know what they are.
Nonetheless I am relieved to have had a diagnosis, and am so, so very thankful that I live in a world of antibiotics. How wonderful it is.
I was given two prescriptions: one antibiotic, and the other an anti-inflamatory/muscle relaxer that targets bladder. Some of you may be familiar to this. I was not.
The doctor warned me, and then the pharmacist warned me, and later on the phone my mom concurred: the muscle relaxer turns your pee bright orange.
Even with the warnings, seeing what collected in the toilet below me was shocking. I am half tempted to post a picture of it. I tried to get my husband to look at it, he refused. He's such a woman.
This orange was SO orange that it took two flushes to wash it down. I'm pretty sure that you could dye Easter eggs with it. And I'm going to have to buy all new underwear when this is done.
I'm the not-so-Teenage Mutant wannabe Ninja Mom. But then that would be green pee.
What did you do all night? "Pee green soup". That'll take you back to second grade.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The brightness of the orange is frightening isnt't it? Hope you are feeling better.

Tifferbob

Anonymous said...

Okay, I can't type worth anything.

Tifferbob

JP said...

i was prescribed that once...and I took it for exactly one day. The un-flushable orange pee was just too much for me...