Monday, October 22, 2007

Square Peg(ish)

I belong to (what I assume is) a small group that doesn't like watermelon. The flavor is overwhelming and the texture is weird.
But I am great at picking out a good, flavorful watermelon (you've got to spank it, but don't be dirty) and often do purchase one and then cut it up for others to enjoy.
Watermelon is heavy and awkward, but we adapt, right?
Wrong!
Through modern technology, the much-loved watermelon is adapting to us:
This baby was grown in a box to give it a square shape so that it can sit better on a shelf. For some reason this bugs me. It seems morally wrong. Sure, scientists manipulate everything these days, but this? This is weird. Again, not a fan, but doesn't it seem that there would be a lot of rind with this? I'm just saying.

1 comment:

JP said...

What had our father had to say about this? I can't imagine he would be for this kind of thing.

Atrocious. (I think that's how you spell atrocious.)