Sunday, October 21, 2007

You Would Love This Job Too

I've now told this story a couple of times, and when I told David I, well, I cried.
I've mentioned this before: I spend 50% of my work time with regular-ed kids, and the other 50% with special-ed. I am so surprised at how much more I love to be with the latter.
Cody is new to me this year. He is in our special-ed Life Skills class. He is a close-talker and is very difficult to understand, sort of like his mouth is full of marbles (and saliva). But he is a good boy, with good manners and good behavior.
Cody loves BYU football. LOVES. Loves. Just about every conversation involves BYU football. All week long he is looking forward to the the next game.
On Friday his focus was only slightly different. Instead of the game, he was excited for that night's fireside put on by the BYU players.
Just before lunchtime on Friday, Cody started talking to someone that only he could see (something I had never seen him do) and started moving out the classroom door and towards the hallway. We gently tried to coax him back in, and finally the other teacher told him to just invite his friend in. Cody discussed it with the unseend friend and they agreed to come in. He turned around to all of us and said "Boys and girls, he's going to stay".
I was very amused. I asked him several times who it was, but it sounded like "Booger Booger Booger". (remember, marbles)
As we started towards the cafeteria for lunch, his conversation with "Booger" continued, and as we walked the other special-ed class joined us. Still amused, and still very baffled by who "Booger" was, I enlisted the help of another teacher.
She asked him who his friend was, and she was able to understand and then translate for me.
My heart is still in a puddle because of the answer. Cody's imaginary friend that he was in deep conversation with was Bronco Mendenhall, coach of the BYU football team.
I fought off the tears as we got closer to the cafeteria. For the remainder of the walk, this precious Cody held his hand in the air, resting on the imaginary back of his good buddy, Bronco.
During this trip through the school hallway, I also learned that Cody frequently makes imaginary phone calls to Bronco, telling him how he should prepare for the upcoming football game.
This is what keeps me going back to special-ed. After the biting, the kicking, the icky bathroom trips, it's moments of heart-puddling that brings me back.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

That DOES tug at the heart strings.