Friday, August 15, 2008

Soccer Moms Unite

How do you spell drama?

a-n-g-r-y-p-a-r-e-n-t-s

Since we've leaved here in Eagle Mountain, our kids have gone to a school that's about 6 miles from home.

Silly, right?

This year, our subdivision gets to go to the school that's just a mile and a half away. (note: the 5th elementary school for my poor kids)

We should rejoice in the new boundaries and living so close to school, right? Wrong.

We live too close to be bussed, and it is not safe for the kids to walk.

My kids will never walk.

Why? Let's see: busy street, (active) electric fence lining the pathway, day light savings, and hello, Utah winters.

Many parents filled the school board meeting Tuesday to plead their case.

Denied.

The parents met again to strategize.

One has now taken it to the TV station.

While all of this is inconvenient and somewhat annoying, there's a big part of me that doesn't mind. For the first time, my work schedule allows me to participate in...(wait for it)... carpool.

Silly? Maybe.

My kids would rather ride the bus and squeeze in an extra few minutes of socializing.

But I'm excited to take my turn.

No comments: