Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Stand in Line

We've been talking a lot about passing judgement in various blogs. I passed judgement today.
When the line at the drive-up teller was too long today, I decided to take the deposit for work inside. There wasn't a wait in the business line, just an elderly couple. They didn't wrap up their conversation with the teller at my approach which frustrated me. As a matter of fact they talked for a few minutes. It went on long enough for me to be annoyed that this anciect woman had on no bra under her sweater, and I was thoroughly disgusted with the gold-hoop belt around her middle. The old man was wearing old-man-clothes, topped with a blue, 70s blazer.
I decided not to put on my annoyed face, but it might have appeared anyway. The teller is a nice guy, I didn't want to be too snotty.
FINALLY they left. The teller offered a little explanation, almost like an apology. He informed me that they were both 92 years old and had been married for 70 years. As if that's not impressive enough, this part floored me: the old man was a piano teacher at Julliard! All of a sudden, their extreme tackiness turned to charm. As I passed them in the parking lot, husband helping wife into their car, I was overwhelmed with the greatness I had been standing next to. Like he was a celebrity. Like I could have absorbed some of his ability, his history, his stories and it would magically come out my own fingers and turn me into some prodigy.
So I greatly misjudged my tacky old man turned musical genius. Another lesson learned.

4 comments:

todd said...

That makes me think... wow... remind me not to every think like that ever again...

Jess said...

Kaycee: yes I noticed. I'm going to ASSuME that he was bored and searched his name. (bored, vain, whatever)

JP said...

Aren't most musical geniuses a bit tacky?

That's really interesting, though...thought provoking.

Alice said...

Man Jess... does this mean that I have to stop judging people? I always catch me judging people, sizing them up.