Sunday, August 21, 2005

Jessica Tandy Doesn't Live Here

Okay, girls...I've done it. I would bet that a few of us of have thought about doing it after seeing the movie. I've done it, and I suggest you don't. I was not please with the outcome. I made Fried Green Tomotoes.
I've had a bit of curiousity about it for many years, but wasn't compelled to actually try it until my husband expressed interest. Guys can get us to try anything.
I brought home some green tomatoes from our morning at the Farmer's Market yesterday, and then later on went to the store for specific ingredients. Green tomatoes are not regular tomatoes that haven't reached their 'peak' ripeness. They are a different kind of tomato with a distinct flavor (in my opinion).
Keeping with a southern theme, the fried green tomatoes were going along side fried chicken and red potatoes boiled with fresh dill (also brought home from the Farmer's Market). Most of the dinner was quite yummy, and my usually-fussy-eater, Isaac, repeatedly applaused the chicken.
But the fried green tomatoes were plain disgusting. I'm quite sure that it wasn't caused by anything I did or didn't do. The flavor from the green tomatoes themselves was strange and sort of bitter. I can't even come up with something to compare them to, to help you grasp what my taste buds experienced. It just didn't do it for me. My husband either.
I'm glad that I tried it. It's great to put curiousity to rest. But I can assure you that will not ever make fried green tomatoes again. Please accept my apologies Fannie Flag, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker, Jessica Tandy, Chris O'Donell, Cicily Tyson, and last but not least: Cathy Bates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try that also--now I don't think I need to! Chris O'Donell was in that movie? Let's catch up soon!

~Jody

Jaye said...

TOWANDA!