Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Big Heavy Sigh

Let's make getting-in-shape even harder for Jess...

Cholesterol-Lowering Diet Plans

The American Heart Association recommends a step-wise approach to lowering cholesterol levels.

The Step I Diet

If you have high blood cholesterol and have not tried other dietary approaches, the Step I diet is the place to start:

  • Total fat intake should be no more than 30% of calories.

  • Saturated fat (the kind that is solid at room temperature) intake should be less than 10% of calories.

  • Polyunsaturated fat (liquid at room and refrigerator temperatures) intake should be 8% to 10% of calories.

  • Monounsaturated fat (olive and canola oil) intake should make up the rest of total fat intake (about 10% to 15% of total calories).

  • Cholesterol intake should be less than 300 milligrams daily.

  • Sodium intake should be no more than 2,400 milligrams daily.

So... I can't eat until I get out my calculator and compute every little morsel that goes in to my mouth. I have to start the math during the last meal to be prepared for the next.

Ohh - and I have to have big results by June.

2 comments:

The Santini Stew said...

I hear ya! I just got hit with a whammy that totally changes my world of food. What's your story?

Tiercy said...

Diets like that are way too complicated. I think portion control is the best place to start.