Thursday, November 17, 2005

No Cranberries at Our Table

What are your Thanksgiving plans? You are more than welcome to come to our house.
Our plans have been greatly altered, but Thanksgiving has been a juggling act for the last 3 years. When your husband works retail, the Day-After-Sales have to be taken in to consideration. Traveling is pretty much out of the question.
We’ve decided to celebrate Thanksgiving at our house with S.S. (our daycare provider and good friend) and her family.
Last night S.S. and I sat down together in my living room (after our spaghetti dinner) and map out our Thanksgiving dinner. Our menu is pretty standard, and looks something like this:
Turkey
Steak (because David hates turkey)
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Gravy
Green slime
Rolls
Corn
Salad Pumpkin pie Apple pie.
I’ve never cooked a turkey, and my gravy experience is limited. Many phone calls will go back and forth with my mom as I take on this challenge, and my questions have already started with how to purchase the bird. I haven’t decided on my approach to the stuffing, but am leaning more towards ‘from scratch’ rather than Stove Top. Which just leads to more questions, like in the bird or not. I’m looking forward to our day. I am also looking forward to our ward dinner (set for this Saturday night), for which I have committed to make 5lbs mashed potatoes and enough salad and dressing for 40 people. I will miss my family very much and will constantly wonder what’s going on during their Thanksgiving celebration, but I hope they know that we’ll be okay. Whoever you are, wherever you are: Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a great one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,
Turkeys aren't that hard. Think of them as a bigger chicken....but, fresh over frozen in my experiance always tastes better. Just start early enough to have your bird done in time. Happy Turkey and B-Day!

Jo

Anonymous said...

We will definitely be thinking of you--and missing you--tomorrow (Sat.) at the annual turkey day on our husbands side. Guess what? My next dr appt is on your birthday--maybe my dr can help me along! Can't wait for Christmas!

Love and miss you!

Jody