Tuesday, November 08, 2005

So Long, Benny

While I sit here at work, on the edge of my seat, praying for a project (any work at all will do), I can't help but wonder if Maddie will ever forgive me. Benny the Big Black Lab no longer resides in my home. The kids and David said goodbye to her on Saturday. I drove her to the shelter we adopted her from. Our original plan was to tell the kids that she ran away. It wouldn't be too far from the truth. Just last Thursday night the kids and I had to drive around looking for her in the dark. Secretly I hoped that we wouldn't find her. While some of you might think I'm heartless, the list of destruction caused by Benny is long. We told the kids the truth and it broke Maddie's heart. Isaac was sad, but Maddie was devasted. She's had her share of cats come and go (run aways and even one hit by a car). But this was our first dog. Benny was long awaited and we were very excited to have her. Unfortunately she was more than we bargained for. Yesterday a friend told me that she never forgave her mom for getting rid of their biting dog. I hope that Maddie will forgive me and understand that I want the best for Benny. I guess I could have told her "kid - it's me or the dog".

2 comments:

Jaye said...

It might help Maddie if she knows that Benny isn't sad. (Benny isn't a human.)

Anonymous said...

We are getting rid of our dog for a long list of other reason's, but mostly she doesn't like women or small children. She has politely tolerated my existence for the past 5 years. Unfortunatly for her she lunged, growled, and viciously snarled at my baby girl. Bye, bye doggy!!

Jolene