Sunday, November 13, 2005

Weddings and Funerals

Due to the many life changes we experience, we often lose touch with those we care about. We may think of them daily, but for some reason time passes without a visit or phone call. Then comes the old cliche: we only see each other at weddings and funerals.
On Friday I was thrilled to see that I had received an email from my former boss, someone I adore but am on the verge of losing touch with. The thrill was short lived, as the email was to inform me of the death of a co-worker; a young man (just 23) who had died in a car accident at 1:30am on Friday. He was a single dad, working so hard to keep his life on track and to do everything possible for his 3-year-old son. His reason for being on the road in the middle of the night is still unknown.
My geography will keep me from attending the funeral and is the cause of this nagging feeling of helplessness. Not only did I work with the man who died, but I also worked with his father, and can't even begin to imagine the toll this tragedy has taken on him and his family.
This family doesn't appear to be religious, but is surrounded by people who are. I hope that they will be receptive to the support that is available to them.

No comments: