Monday, November 17, 2008

Growing Pains?

Many of you remember that my labor with Maddie was 36+ hours. And that I pushed for... wait, that's not relevant.

The thought is out there that because I resisted the contractions, instead of just 'going with' the contractions, that it prolonged labor.

As I watch her now, with her 12th birthday nearing (okay, not until March), and with her teenage years lurking over my shoulder, I'm feeling that same resistance. And I'm pretty sure that I will need to constantly remind myself to just 'go with' it.

I stumble across these reminders and alerts often, little orange cones guiding me to the teenage years. One weekly 'orange cone' is seeing a couple of Maddie's classmates pass the Sacrament. I've watched her (out of the corner of my eye) and she has no reaction, it's not a big deal to her. It is to me! My baby is all grown up!

I am not ready. I am trying to put on the brakes. But I know that if I want to be a good mom, then I should do the opposite. Maybe you've heard this phrase: A Good Mom Works Herself Out of a Job. And maybe you've heard that talk from General Conference (a while back) where the mom is sending her grown daughter off to be married and wonders if she's taught her enough.

Am I? Am I teaching her enough? Am I doing enough to 'work my way out of this job'?

No. It's never enough. Now matter what. There's too much to pass on, whether is academic, spiritual, or just the little life lessons. I wish I had the energy/motivation to hold FHE every night, because in this crazy world - we need it.

Maddie is amazing. It's amazing that her and I survived this weekend of finishing her Egypt project.

I love her. She's my girl. And I'll just keep trying to go with the contractions.

3 comments:

Jaye said...

Just think - in four years she'll be driving. : )

JP said...

I really like your analogy.

Tiercy said...

I love this post! I will probably need these reminders too, to just go with it. I can't. It's hard. I'll try.