Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's a Great Day to be a T-Wolf

That message often comes across our email at work, usually a teacher or administrator sharing a story of school spirit or observing an act of kindness.

It is Freedom Week at my high school. I hope to somehow show you pictures of the hallways, decorated by each class, honoring our soldiers and our freedoms.

This morning was the Flag Ceremony, held each year during Freedom Week.

The daily schedule is altered just a bit to include this early morning ritual. The students and faculty gather in the big gym dressed in their Sunday best (unless you're like me and forgot, but really, I'm not going to wear a girdle all day in the name of dressing up).

The American Legion present the flags, our amazing choir sings the National Anthem. Then with patriotic music playing, the American Legion also presents, one at a time, a flag for each branch of the military: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marines. Students are asked to stand individually as these flags are brought in if they have friends or family in each of the branches, while the rest of the crowd applauds.

Then the music stops and the gym is silent as a flag for the MIA soldiers is presented.

It's a great ceremony. I wish you could be there. I wish I could walk you through the halls. But I'll see what I can do do bring you pictures and or video footage.

2 comments:

The Santini Stew said...

You know, I never got to go to that ceramony in all of the years there. I was usually dealing with problems with students, parents, or something along those lines.

Jaye said...

It sounds cool in theory - but are the kids really into it? OR is this for the adults?