Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Forget the Room, Find a Crosswalk

Yet another sign I'm over the hill...
I'm not anti-teenager. I think they're great and have a deep appreciation for all they put up with at their age. It's a very confusing time. I have teenage brothers, cousins, and though my siblings may disagree, it hasn't been all that long since I was a teenager myself. I'm still convinced that there is a 17-year-old inside of me.
BUT today I had it and let them know it.
I live near a high school; it is a beautiful red-brick building. The only route available to get to my house is to drive by the highschool. I've learned there are certain times I should avoid driving by: when school starts, lunchtime, and then when school lets out. I have no problem giving them their space. Come on, folks, it hasn't been that long since I was racing off to the drive-thru with hopes to make it back before 4th period starts.
Surprise, surprise, my complaint today has nothing to do with their driving. My frustration is caused by the pedestrians. THREE times now (in the span of a week) I have had to slam on the brakes (today I had groceries and kids with whiplash) because of these snotty girls walking out in front of me. The first two occurances were within 25 feet of each other! When it happened today it was an entire mile from the school, but obviously students trying to hurry off to some 'extra-curicular' activity. I couldn't take it anymore! Since I was already at a complete stop due to their lack of consideration and safety, I chose to roll down my window on this rainy/snowy spring day, and loudly inform them that a cross walk was just a few feet away. They knew it, and they might not have even heard my reminder, but at least I feel like I got it off of my chest.
Will I do it again? Will I leave my comfort zone to yell at someone else's children? Would you?

1 comment:

Jaye said...

Ms. Posy - I think you need to break free from your usual quiet self. It's time to let others know when you are angry. (Just think of the times I told Grandma off... I know you wanted to too)