Thursday, April 14, 2005

Where Were You 10 Years Ago?

Today marks a special day.
10 years ago this morning I woke up after a restless night, wondering if he was going to be on time. Was he even going to make it at all? He spent the night camping with one of his brothers and his best friend at Camp Far West, one last 'hoorah'. There's no alarm clock out there. What will wake him up on time? Did they even sleep at all?
He made it. My groom-to-be picked me up on time. As we drove to the Oakland Temple, we bickered a bit. I complained about my sleepless night, he probably told me I was over-reacting.
I was far more concerned about punctuality than anything else that morning. I hoped I looked okay. But other than that, I wasn't nervous at all. Never once did I question my decision, or the events that were scheduled for that day. I never wondered if I was doing the right thing. I never had butterflies in my tummy. My approach to the big day was matter-of-fact, and I was happy.
The weather is unpredictable in the bay area, even on that spring day. There was rain and there were clouds, but after we made our sacred covenants in that sacred place, the sky cleared and provided us a brief break from the moisture and gave us a beautiful blue sky. We were even able to see all the way across the bay. That unexpected pause in the rain allowed us to take lots of pictures on our special day.
It was a special weekend, and it all played out (almost) as scheduled: the wedding night (=) ), the next-day reception, having our family all around, my cheesy decorations, my beautiful dress...
How are we commemorating that special day, 10 years later and 1,000 miles away? I wanted my anniversary band, but let's face it, it ain't gonna happen after our recent home purchase. Without prospects of a babysitter and with my swollen glands/sore throat, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up at Chuck E. Cheese.
Update: He got me the ring!!!

3 comments:

JP said...

Happy Anniversary, you big lug! =) I've actually forgiven you for making me wear that dress! LOL!

Seriously...have a WONDEFUL day.

LOVE YOU BOTH TONS!!!

Anonymous said...

I have many memories of that day....and the events leading up to that day (missing fingernails and all). My how time flies--and we even ended up "related" and with the same last name. It really was meant to be!

Love and miss you TONS!

~Jody(aka floatie)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, silly me, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

~Jody