Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Movie Review: Spanglish

The older I get, the more selective I am in my choice of movies. It's hard to set aside time, time that I can fully dive into a plot, without interruption or without guilt (that I should be using my time more wisely). On the other hand, my husband is a huge movie buff and watches just about everything that comes out. I absolutely have the opportunity to join him, but choose to only about 10% of the time.
Spanglish is a movie I've been wanting to see for quite some time, even though my younger brother thought it was horrible. He advised that the movie was well made, but the story was awful. So I braced myself for an unhappy ending.
I often take movies way too personally, to the point that I am completely drained of energy after watching. The character of the mom (played by Tea Leoni) really struck a nerve with me, of what NOT to be. On the brink of a mid-life-crisis and wanting to feel important, she's completely neurotic and hard to like (well done Tea Leoni). If I'm not careful, I could totally see myself turning into this. I should watch this movie once a year to correct myself as a wife and a mother.
I am a huge Adam Sandler fan and loved watching this softer side of him. I predict more and more secret crushes on him as a result of this character.
It's fun to watch Cloris Leachman and the sweetness she brings to the story. The girl that plays Sandler's daughter will make you want to reach out and squeeze her cheeks.
Though the cast (including the wonderful Paz Vega, the Hispanic housekeeper) each took a place in my heart, this movie is full of heartache, but truth. As for whether or not the movie has a happy ending or not: it gives each viewer the opportunity to figure it out for themselves.
Out respect for Sandler's character, I won't officially rate this movie. I highly recommend seeing it.

1 comment:

JP said...

I've also really wanted to see this. If only for the fact that Abby speaks The Spanglish. Yeah, that might have something to do with it.