Monday, April 04, 2005

We Did It!

When we moved our little family to smalltown Nevada in August 2003, I knew it was our opportunity to take advantage of our greater backyard. We did. Hikes, Lake Tahoe, and countless fishing trips, we made the most of it. Now that we live in Montana, so far from our family and friends and lives, we will again take advantage of our greater, (sometimes very distant) greater backyard. So we have had our first adventure to Mt. Rushmore. I say first because we will return. The drive was long, and mostly two-laned, but we will do it again. Though I already have plans and am deterred by the potential crowds, I wish I was ambitious enough to be there on July 4th. Could there be anything more patriotic than watching fireworks (which I am a sucker for) at The Shrine of Democracy on our country's Independence Day? I truly feel blessed to have been able to be at this national monument with my little family, and to teach this bit of history (and learn for myself) to my children. Our goal(s) before our next Mt. Rushmore visit (which are highly out of reach) are such: I need to get over my fear of heights and David needs to have his ankle or knee heal (both would be preferable). Once we have accomplished these tasks, our family will hike up Mt. Rushmore, walking along a path, then climbing a long, long, long staircase, no wider than a household staircase. I'm not sure where our next adventure will take us. We have much to choose from: Devil's Tower and Yellowstone are topping the list. If my priorities were in order, landscaping our yard and finishing the basement would lead on the adventure chart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to Yellowstone! My family went last summer and we saw every thing from buffalo to a bear. Plus, there are the mud volcanos and who doesn't want to say they saw Old Faithful at least once in their life time. We enjoyed it.

Tifferbob

Jess said...

Tiff: we absolutely will go to Yellowstone. I went when I was 7 and what I remember most is (besides Old Faithful) freaking out because I thought my little sister was going to fall into the hot pots.

JP said...

I remember the stinkiness that is Yellowstone...but then again, I was four.

Also...I'm glad you get to do these things...even if you are in the style-less state of Montana! ;)