Tuesday, April 26, 2005

That's Not How We Do It In California

More to add to the list of the weird... Though I'm only 1,000 miles from home, some days it seems like a million. Other days I wonder if I'm on a different planet. Though I live in a city of 99,00 people, everyone really has a small-town mindset. *One Saturday morning I drove by a radio-sponsored fund-raiser in the form of a firetruck-pull. At that devine moment, it was the ladies' turn, lined up in a virtual tug-of-war with the enormous vehicle. * I've gotten used to the Antelope that spend time in our neighborhood, I enjoy it. But it was a little-close-for-comfort when I was picking up Isaac from school the other day, and the other parents had their eye on a fox. F-O-X. *This isn't necessarily small-town related, but for my LDS friends: on fast Sundays, two Deacons walk through the crowd with microphones for those who don't want to go up to the pulpit. Weird. *I have a new friend who is a long-time home renter (like I used to be). She doesn't want to buy a home here because they are so expensive. Hello! My brand-new house was only $160K. She's from Idaho. *This morning, when I dropped Isaac off at school it looked like we had arrived at Disneyland. There were picket-ers out in front; one in a raccoon costume, one in a chipmunk costume. Their cause? "Critters not concret."

1 comment:

Jaye said...

i don't get the critters thing.