Friday, April 01, 2005

The Grocery Store Stationwagon

What is it with people carrying those little baskets at the grocery store? Are they trying to make a statement, or challenge the big, over-sized push baskets?
I am seeing this all the time: customer walks into grocery store, picks up small basket. I notice them here and there throughout the store; me casually pushing my basket, them juggling the increasingly heavy little basket. By the time they reach the register, with their 10 items or less, they no doubt have tendonitis, a backache, and a hernia.
Is it like my push-basket is the big, gas-guzzling family SUV and the basket they are carrying (usually containing wine and a baggette) is the little red sports car? I have news for them: in both cases the bigger vehicle is more practical and safer.

No comments: