Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Big Brother

When I was in the thick of my teenage years, I thought that my problems could be solved by one thing: a big brother. As the oldest of five kids, it wasn't in the cards. I was so envious of other girls who did have protective big brothers. Wouldn't it be fun to be a Freshman with a Junior or Senior brother to show me the ropes, give me a ride home from school, and help me to not act like such an idiot in front of other boys. As it turned out, my brothers were quite small. Jordan came along at the end of my sixth grade year, and Jamesson came along during my Freshman year. Still, I was accompanied by my brothers to more than one football or basketball game.
Now that I've reached the un-desired age of 30, I truly have my long-awaited big brothers. When I say big, I mean big. At ages 18 and 16, they are each hovering around 6'4", though with drastically different builds. Jordan: we tease that he's fat, but he's far from it. Jamesson: nicknamed by mom as "stickboy".
I thoroughly enjoy these boys. But, I very much envy these boys for the material things they have and I didn't, and for the freedoms they have that I didn't. Jordan gets little sympathy from me when he complains about life being so rough, then I remind him that I didn't have a cell phone, TV in my room, nor cable or a VCR in my room. Not to mention the XBOX and Nintendo Cube (?).
Spoiled beyond comprehension (it is partly my fault), these are the two most entertaining boys around. The latest antics revolve around their right-on impressions of the now-famous Napoleon Dynamite. Gosh! They had me giggling all Christmas day with the stupid things that social-misfit said.
They are not just my entertainers, they are my right hands, and though they tease me constantly about how OLD I am, they somehow keep me young. I treasure my phone calls with Jordan, when I can make sure he's not making out with all the girls in the stake. It's recently come to my attention that I need to be directing these questions to suck-face Jamesson, too.
Moving away from them last year was quite difficult. This weekend I broke the new to them (after the rest of the family) that I might be moving further away. I hope that they'll visit and stay until I can't stand them anymore.

3 comments:

JP said...

What the HELL did I miss?????

Jess said...

JP: when Jamesson's on the band-geek road trips, they play truth or dare in the back of the bus.

Alicia said...

Reading this post made me think a lot about my big brother. He's five years older than me and we didn't get a long most of the time, but now he's one of my best friends. You definitly need to keep tabs on the suck face brother of yours. My brother tried to keep tabs on me ;)