Friday, January 21, 2005

The Plastic Man

Some celebrities catch our attention for just a brief moment. So cliche with their '15 minutes of fame'.
Some people, talent or no talent, hang around in the spotlight a little longer.
Then there are a few who earn, or rather command our attention for years upon years because they are so unbelievably brilliant, with ability pouring out to audiences who drink it up as fast as it is dispensed.
The obsession with Michael started when he was quite young, so natural on stage, crooning with his older brothers.
Then in his 20s, Michael turned the music world upside down with his music, his dance, and his imagination. My room was wall to wall full of his posters (unlike the girls down the street who opted for Prince to be plastered on the walls). I nearly wore out my Thriller tape. I watched the Thriller video and making of over and over again. I was green with envy when those same neighbor girls got the red Beat It jacket. Michael was worthy of our attention and affection.
Though his talent and imagination continued to amaze and entertain, we all witnessed a transformation through the years. Eventually ending up with this freak show that we have today, whose scandals clog up the nightly news. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe even longer than most people did. But I'm done. I've been done for a long, long time.
How much longer are we going to be tortured and annoyed with the cat and mouse chase between him and the L.A. prosecutors? How many more babies are these stuped women going to give him? Why, oh why did any parent ever let their child spend a night with him?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aahhh..another gal who played Thriller waaaay too much. ;)

I was at a cocktail lounge in town here the other night and on their big wall screen they were playing an MJ dvd of his videos...one after the other after the other..and by the time they got to the one with him basically nekkid with Lisa Marie Pres. (*note no sound of course..) I couldn't believe how disturbing his images were.... Maybe it's all tainted with how I "see" him now...but the fem. body and everything... :S Eeeewww...

Speaking of plastic men.. have you seen Wayne Newton lately on tv?!?!?! Now that's a better go at plastic surgery mind you...but OMG he looks like he's got the face of a 14 yr old!!!!

Cheers, Miss Swizz
www.swizzlestix.blogspot.com

JP said...

I just don't get it. I just don't get it.

Although, I really wish I wouldn't have saved you blog for last. I do NOT want him on my brain before I go to bed.

Crap.

Alice said...

I’m not down with Michael Jackson’s actions at all. But at the same time I think it is important to separate a person’s art from the artist. For example Vincent Van Gough cut off his ear and mailed it to his ex-girlfriend, nothing romantic there… just plain sick if you ask me. If I received an ex’s ear in the mail I would call the police and I am sure it would be some kind of federal offense. I am not trying to compare amputating parts of your own body to molesting innocent children. I am merely trying to point out two individuals with severe psychological problems that produce/d amazing works of art.

You are right that the cat and mouse game has got to end, women need to stop offering up their wombs to produce the most fatherless figure with children… but his music, well that is different.