Sunday, January 30, 2005

Afternoon Levitation?

Warning: the following may come across as conservative and close-minded. You be the judge.
Many years ago I heard from a "reliable source" that we need to keep an eye on Disney movies, that they may become inappropriate.
I consider myself an open-minded-mom, maybe even on the verge of liberal in some areas. For example: I sort of enjoyed it when Chuckee (Rugrats All Grown Up) photocopied his butt at school to prove that he wasn't a goodie-goodie. My kids watch Nick, the Disney Channel, some Cartoon Network, but I like to steer them towards PBS.
We love Disney, and have watched and enjoyed most of their movies. It was no different with 'Lilo & Stitch' when it was released a couple of years ago. It was a cute movie, not the same old princess story. The Disney channel now airs 'Lilo & Stitch' the afternoon cartoon with the same characters and similar story line as the movie. Flags went up immediately when one of the characters turned out to be a cross-dresser (the whole enchilada: male with wig, lipstick, & mascara). I never pointed it out to my kids, but suggested that they change the channel. But we have watched an occasional episode of 'Lilo & Stitch'. Yesterday's episode pushed me a little far when the slumber party included and centered around levitation. Don't get me wrong, I played plenty of 'Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board' at various slumber parties. But do we need to have it in our afternoon cartoons?

2 comments:

Jess said...

True story. Bugs Bunny was also a very violent cartoon. But I guess what gets to me about the character in 'Lilo & Stitch' is that he's REALLY INTO girls' attire. Bugs was just out to pull a fast one. Maybe I'm just 'justifying'.

JP said...

I'm sooo laughing right now. I do have similar thoughts while watching TV with the girls.

Does Snowbell (from Stuart Little) really have to say: "Talk to the butt" or when talking about licking himself he says "and that can take hours if you do it right."

*sigh*