Friday, January 07, 2005

My Town

In August 2003 I cut my apron springs (it took a chainsaw) and left my life-long digs in Northern California for an adventure in Northern Nevada. Before I consented to this move, we took a drive through this wonderful gift of called the Sierras and around Lake Tahoe. As we descended from Lake Tahoe to the enchanting valley the view was incredible. I had this overwhelming feeling that I was coming home. Even still, I continued to refuse this relocation of my little family. Eventually I unclenched, and we left behind parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and fabulous friends. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Everyone seemed weird in this town and I did not feel welcome. I'm sure it was mostly my own insecurity, but I did have some strange experiences. But this, our little town, nestled at the bottom of majestic mountains, is a great place to live and raise a family. I know our time here is short, we have one more move ahead of us, but I could stay. Gambling is a lot of things, mostly leading to a path of evil, but the wonderful taxes as a result affords us great schools and a great community. It is very much small town, full of brick buildings, a couple of car dealerships, too many quaint antique stores to count, but a little short on good restaurants (priorities people). It is abundant in activities and events. In December, we stood in 14 degrees after dark to watch the electric parade, pretty good for small-town. In the fall we attended the carnival full of little booths and when the kids competed in a race by grade level, each winner took home a TURKEY. In the summer was the big parade for the birthday celebration for our little town. The Harley Davidson riders are through here OFTEN and when it's not their weekend, it's probably the classic car weekend. For those who like to be pampered, there are many, many day spas. High on my list of importance: we have a Raley's a stone's throw from my house (bow down). High on my husbands list: we have a Blockbuster. Our town has so much to offer. These recent weeks it's been offering an abundance of snow. It's beautiful. It's fun to play in. It's important for the green grass that I love so much all the way into July. But driving is rough. The main artery through town is always very clear, but be sure to put it in four wheel drive before entering the 'suicide lane'. It's piled high with snow courtesy of the plows. Our subdivision hasn't had a visit from the plows. The little industrial, privately maintained street where my office resides is shaded from the row of building, creating a slick, 3-inch sheet of ice for us to maneuver around the pot holes. Now, with the evidence of the last storm surrounding us, we find ourselves in a winter-storm-warning once again for the duration of the weekend. If you don't hear from me by Tuesday, send in search & rescue.

PS I forgot to mention that our police department has a Camero and a Hummer, both in typical cop car paint jobs, down to the blue flames across the hoods.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Freaking blizzard here! God bless 4 wheel drive. And my parents for lending me theirs.

Snow is everywhere. The roads aren't even plowed. But somehow Wal*Mart is still full of shoppers. People stay home! Not that I did, I'm at work. I might not be able to get home.

Jess said...

On my lunch hour I purchased a snow shovel. Instead of leaving it in the bed of the truck, I locked it up on the inside, not because small-town Nevada is full of crime, but because there's no more shovels left at any store.

Jess said...

On my lunch hour I purchased a snow shovel. Instead of leaving it in the bed of the truck, I locked it up on the inside, not because small-town Nevada is full of crime, but because there's no more shovels left at any store.

Alice said...

You describe your town so well. I am a city girl at heart, but if I must be suburbanized at any point in my life I would so hope it is a small quant town, surrounded by mountains, that gives Turkeys to children who win races and has parades and fireworks and...

Beautiful writing!!

Suzie Petunia said...

Your town sounds like mine - right down to the small-town parades and antique shops. I moved to mine in 2003 as well. It's been fun reading your blog.